Thursday, July 17, 2008

Whining, Air Quotes and Tortillas




A prominent national "magazine" (Family Circle) has just placed my beloved city on its list of 10 best places to raise "a" family. The article alludes to the fact the our City staff members tirelessly worked to promote our city, that reporters never technically visited our "community" and that we were randomly selected from a Cheetos bowl, along with Oro Valley, AZ; South Burlington, "VT", Brunswick, OH, etc.

This leads to my next question, in the most pathetic and whiny tone possible (which isn't challenging for most of you to imagine), if this is such a great "place", why do my friends always leave me? ALL of my college friends moved away at some point after college (Christy and Adi have returned to the fold). Then there's my adult BFF, April, who moved to Texas "temporarily" but now because of a "job change" has decided to stay in Texas (TEXAS!). The upside is I have vacation homes all over, in such tropicals as Fort Smith, Siloam Springs, Houston, now, "another" "in" Houston, Memphis, Atlanta, Boston, New Jersey, etc.

This leads me to my new favorite quote from my new best friend, Christy M. (who I have not technically met face to face but have been introduced via the world wide web through Emily). In our exchange of e-mail (yes, I decided she was my BFF after one e-mail and reading her blog religiously), I requested that she move to my city (it is on Family's Circle's list of 10 best places to raise a family). She asked in regards to our "Indian-y" sounding location, "Do you have dream catchers in every window and make your own tortillas? That would be cool." She already lives in another place besides my city. That's good, because now I've prevented the agony of her moving away.

4 comments:

Christy said...

Oh my gosh, I've never been quoted before. At least in a good way. I'm giddy! And I'm totally psyched about our new BFFship, especially since all of my "old" ones up and left me, too. I also like to change my hair color ... do you think this in any way encouraged Emily's move to "Siloam Springs" (a "city" conspicuously absent from your list). I'm dying to know why she hates you....

Tim Morgan said...

Jenni, you are so funny. I actually laughed out loud.

Emily said...

Christy- It's a total lie that you've never been quoted. If you'll recall, I have often quoted your two separate observations that Justin Timberlake AND Kevin Federline are "male skanks" and engaged in public speculation about whether it was something brought out by Brittany Spears or a reflection of her "type." Nonetheless.
Jenni, you well know that I am now ten and a half hours closer to you because you have consistently and gently prayed us all closer and closer. Christy and Phil do not have a fighting chance of avoiding a move to a Native American heavy state with you as a BFF. I'm just saying. Pray for me- I'm in TEXAS/

Kristi Bowers said...

Thank you for posting on my blog. I hope you don't mind that I put you on my friends list on the side of my blog!
I will let you know about Kaleb and I look forward to getting to know you guys better!