Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Whole Bunch of Happy

My dad died in April during my freshman year of college. After his death, his April birthday was also a difficult day for me. My 26-year-old cousin and my Grandpa died in April. Many other less important, but nevertheless sad happenings for me occurred in that A-month (cue "Debbie Downer" theme song).

My friend Emily had a personal hatred for November so we decided to erase those months from our personal calendars. But thankfully that didn't work! Five years ago, Noah was born three weeks early, on my dad's birthday (coincidence doesn't claim that one). My MIL's & Jer Jer's birthdays are in April. Emily's twin girls and my cousin Pam's first son, whom all took many years to conceive, were born in April. So, here's to you April who is officially crowned my come-back month of the year!

For Noah's 5th birthday party, he wanted to "go to the place where you dress up like Star Wars and fight". And since we are currently missing that place in our town, we hosted a Jedi Training Camp at our church. After donning each Jedi with their official tunic and light saber, everyone received a Jedi name.

Master Jedi Htes teaching some of the young Padawans:
Leading the Jedi Training Obstacle Course:


Birthday boy, Jedi Hoan practicing the "windmill" (Htes made-up training moves):
Princess Leia (in the officially ugliest of the Princess Leis costumes) leading a round of "Jedi Jedi Darth" (similar to Duck Duck Goose, but with more using of The Force).


The boys in a stunned silence as all their training is about to be used for the common good of the galaxy:

Then the pummeling of Darth begins:



Darth in the official surrender mode (fetal position):
And the official Dad-of-the Century award goes to...Darth Daddy, showing off his injury:

The more traditional birthday party events:
Noah's additional birthday celebrations:
At the aquarium:

The rare, Oklahoma Bufferfish:
And lest Noah believe we had forgotten his birthday, here were some more cupcake celebrations:


In the midst of parties, we have the JOY of taking care of Connor two times a week:



Our Easter celebrations:

Before the eating festivities begin and pre-church:

Eating peeps:

Eating from Grandmom's Easter Basket:

Eating Dita's Easter Basket Cupcake:

8 comments:

Valerie said...

I pretty much think you might win the prize as COOLEST PARENTS ever with your Jedi party. Props to you for wearing the Leia buns on your head. Ha! And what's up with the April birthdays? Almost every single one of Henry's good buddies (including Henry, too) have birthdays in April. It's a crazy party month -- which definitely helps since my dad passed away in April as well, so I completely understand...:)

Kristi Bowers said...

My birthday is in april too, so i am glad it is a come back month!

Jennifer said...

Wow! What a post! That Star Wars party looked awesome! I bet the boys loved hitting someone without fear of getting in trouble. Seth might try a stronger face mask next year though.

Emily said...

Jenni! It's the most spectacular costume you've ever worn. I am so very, very happy that you posted it. I'm going to print it out for all of the friends so in the retirement community, we can show it to the other residents. I loved the pictures of Noah's party- I hope that your ultimate business, opening the place where boys can have Star Wars party is as successful as it deserves to be.

Chad and Dana said...

LOVE IT! What a lucky little guy to have such awesome, fun parents! That image of you in the BUNS will last with me a lifetime! THANKS!

Christy said...

I think that jedi party is one of the best things I've ever seen. I can't wait to show Phil.

Connor is still such a handsome lad, growing so big and beautiful!

Lacie and Stephen said...

I wish I had thought of that jedi party idea.... or at least been there to batter Darth Hutch with a big foam stick.
SAH

Lisa Beth Hutchins said...

You are one awesome mom for putting that party together! And Conner is beautiful. It's great to see things are going so well in your lives. You deserve it!