Monday, May 4, 2009

The Chicken Lady's Grandma

On April 20, 2009, my Grandma went Home. I was able to hop on a plane to Washington and be with her in the hospital during her last few hours. Sitting there, watching her precious face and small, but strong body, so many moments surrounded me. The dresses she made my cousin and I to wear in a parade; the summer weeks I spent at her country house while she let me play the part of "Chicken Lady" (my CB name), as I gathered up the chicken eggs and came screeching to her for help because the chickens were following me (those big, bad frightening fowl); her hearty hugs which could cause Hulk Hogan to beg for mercy. A life well lived and a life loving well.

Nothing EVER compares with the feeling you get when you walk into Grandma's house. Here are my Grandparents with Seth and 16-month old Noah in 2005 (my Grandpa passed away in 2006)

On her wedding day


Yes, they actually did used to make them that classy. She could whip up a dinner for 20, end up with a spotless kitchen, and still look like she just jumped off the May 1957 Glamour cover.

Grandma, your talent for macaroni salad eludes me, but I pray your ability to make your family feel embraced, even from hundreds of miles away, makes its way to me. Until your next hug...

8 comments:

Valerie said...

So so sweet, Jenny. (I was wondering when you would be posting again!) I'm sorry for your loss, but happy that you had such an amazing lady in your life. I was very close to my grandma's, too, and miss them a lot.

Kristi Bowers said...

what a sweet tribute. i am glad you got to be there. love ya

Lingars 2 said...

Jenni, I am truly sorry for your loss. She was a true blessing and you will cherish those memories! I'll keep you in my prayers.
Luv ya!

Chad and Dana said...

Hugs to you and your family. Would love to go get a "salad" with you sometime soon!

Jennifer said...

Don't you just treasure those sweet pictures? They are so lovely and it sounds like your grandmother was such a lovely person too.

Lisa Beth Hutchins said...

What a lovely woman; there is so much that we could and should learn from our grandmothers. Thanks for letting me glean a little wisdom from yours.

Aunt Barb said...

I obviously haven't been reading your blogs Jenni, but got on here tonite & was pleasantly surprised to see all these pics of Mom & Dad...I Miss them sooo much!!!! LOVE YA, AUNT BARB

Jenni said...

Aunt Barb, I still miss them SO very much too!