Monday, January 10, 2011

Zesty Whoops

Ian is incredibly enthusiastic about life in general. Whether it is an airplane ride to Washington State, a trip to the swimming pool or finding an extra chocolate chip in his cookie, the possibility of his imploding from fevered excitement is imminent. So I knew that our planned trip to see Santa would create some tremendous jumps and ecstatic whoops of delight. Yes, I said whoops. 

To make it an extra special event, I chose Schlotsky's (we go there so often, I didn't even have to look up the spelling), for our pre-Santa viewing. All day long, Ian chanted about our trip to Schlotsky's and he contemplated what he was to discuss with Santa. All day. All the day long. The day is long and that is how long he whooped it up in anticipation. 
I used to not mention to Ian where we were going because of the tendency for the day to feel much, much longer with his oft repeated phrases: "Is it time? What time are we going? Is now the time? What time are we leaving? What time again are we going?" But I have so come to appreciate his zest for life that I feel it cruel not to allow him the pleasure of the anticipation. So I told him. Early in the morning. 


Finally, we are all eating in Schlotsky's, and I asked Ian, "Are you SO excited about going to see Santa"? (I really, truly enjoy going with him to his zesty world). And he says to me, "I really like eating here right now." 


Yep, the four-year old knows how to eat up the current moment much better than I.

2 comments:

Lacie and Stephen said...

I thought of this post last night when I found out that school was cancelled for today! I gave some "zesty whoops." I have been practicing them as Jesstine potty trains. I have had LOTS of them in the last couple of days!!

Carissa said...

Love it. Oh, and I am seriously loving that outfit with the tie and Converse. Seriously?!?! You are making me want to come photograph that handsome little guy right now!