Saturday, January 22, 2011

Growing Up is Stinking Me


Oh how I never understood those moms who whined about their "babies growing up". Come on ladies, suck it up and let nature have at it. But my case is different, because, well, it is happening TO ME.



My little honey bunny (his favorite moniker when I say it super loud at the bus stop), Noah is gaining all this confidence and swagger. And while I adore the blossoming (or is that wrong to say for a boy?), my heart is breaking and grasping for time to slow down. I do not want to make him younger...just freeze the time.


I want to continue to hear him say "We stinked them!" when the other team gets zero points.



Please let him continue his dream of reuniting his band, The Spies, that played at recess at the beginning of the year. He was lead singer, and his other two friends were drums and guitar. The other members dropped the band for more swinging time, and Noah was greatly disappointed and is still holding out hope for putting a band back together.


I never want him to stop speaking to Connor in a pitch that is three octaves higher than Mickey Mouse's.



I want him to keep on jumping to crazy conclusions. I excitedly told him that he might have a snow day and he got all upset, because his teacher told him that if they had a snow day, they would have to go to school in June. Noah's conclusion: One snow day = School for the entire month of June.



But I've realized I have to better hide all my lamenting for his littleness. Last year, the night before his birthday, I said in a chipper voice, "This is the last day you will ever be five...let's make it the best day yet". I talked all day long about how special it was for him to be rounding out the last day of his fives. Then I tucked him in that evening and he started bawling, "I don't want to be six, I want to stay five forever." Of course, all my pretending that I was excited for his getting older just translated to him the truth of my heart.


Man how I adore my honey bunny, no matter his age.

5 comments:

Lacie and Stephen said...

LOVED this post! Made me want to cry reading about him wanting to stay 5 forever!!

Karen Smith (Feiock) said...

For crying out loud...which is what I just did, I love that little boy!!!

Chad and Dana said...

Good one, my friend. Looking forward to lamenting in person here real soon! I'll bring the tissue...

Christy said...

The Mr.-Potato-Head pieces-stuck-in-his-face photos is my absolute favorite. Sweet fancy Moses, that boy is adorable!!! Just think how totally precious he's going to be standing at the front of a church in a tux one day. (Just kidding! Don't think about it!) I heckle because my precious boy is merely 4 and will only be ... um ... 5 soon and um ... starting kindergarten in ... um ... a few short months ...bwaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!

In other news, I now think of you every time I clean up something with my wierd striped pastel towels. As it should be.

Carissa said...

I want my babies to stay babies forever. I hyperventilate each time they have a birthday. Does that make me a psycho mom? Probably. Ok, YES. I admit it. I am a psycho mom. So thanks for the post...it's good to know I'm not the only psycho mom out there.