Monday, August 4, 2008

Vampire Prom


I'm not kidding when I tell you that I went to a Vampire Prom on Friday night. Seriously. If you haven't heard, there's this book series called "Twlight", that when trying to get me to read it, Karen described it as a "vampire romance." Now, as obviously appealing as that sounds, I was skeptical, but then I read it and became obsessed (meaning I had to stay up way past 9:30pm reading it) which we then passed on the obsession to Leslie, Brook, Mitzi, Kinsey, April, SETH, Emily (whom I actually drove to B&N and made her pick up the book and purchase and who read the third 500-page book in one evening), and many more. Turns out this is a Harry Potteresque phenomenon and the fourth book in the series just came out--thus, the Vampire Prom party that we attended at Barnes & Noble. The following is actual footage of the announcement that the book was going on sell in five minutes:


Now, you might have noticed that the screams were those of, let's say, younger ladies. Yes, the book was originally marketed for the teen-age sector, which is also the section you must pick it up in at the bookstore. But I swear that there are MANY fans of all ages. When Leslie's friend, Carla, showed up late to the prom, she said she immediately started looking for the "30-something" crowd knowing that she'd find just a few of us lurking agedly around. And the following displays how my elderly friends acted in response to the book-going-on-sell announcement (this is not staged at all):


Here we are after midnight with "Breaking Dawn":


Just a couple of vampires, Brook & Leslie (if you read the books, you know that vamps are beautiful--no fangs or coffins or any such nonsense):


Some of those at B&N, starting at top left: Farah, Tammy, Leslie, Kinsey, Brook, Emily & Karen :


So, I'm off to read...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_series for those of us who don't quite get it. :-)

Jenni said...

Come on, Tim, teen-age, vampire romance...what additional information do you need? But I appreciate that you are the kind of friend that would take the time to look it up on wiki to find out what sort of cult I've hooked up with. Have you bought the book yet?

Kristi Bowers said...

Ok you have now officially helped me decide to read it. EVERYONE is telling me to and I felt like I was too old to but if you say "older" people read it I must...do you have a copy of the first I can borrow?

Lisa Beth Hutchins said...

I guess I'm going to have to read it, too. My friend Chandra has been blogging about the books and staying up to the wee hours to read them. I'm going to have to get with the program!

Emily said...

Why does SETH get his name in all caps? I feel like I'm just as difficult to get to read a teen vampire romance as he is. GAH.

Jenni said...

Well, I love to state the obvious, Em, but Seth has some parts that you don't possess and vice versa. I was merely pointing out that a BOY (thus, the different parts) was even reading it, in addition to my highly selective reader of high literature, Emily and my other highly intelligent lady friends.

Christy said...

Many things disturb me about this post, not the least of which is the discussion about Seth's parts.