Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Cul-de-Sac Ladies

From left to right: Me, Jen Jen, Beth, Emily, Christy (for whom this gathering occurred), Ida, Shannon, Adi

I owe these ladies so much, not the least being my ability to spell Cul-de-Sac with confidence (the name comes from my college utopian desire for us all to live in the same neighborhood...forever).

Many different addresses, eight husbands and 15 and 3/4 babies later, we are all still friends (Ida was adopted into the TU group, even though I'd sooner not discuss her alma mater).

This group is my foundation. These are the women that I base my friend standard upon. Not just what I look for in other friends, but the kind of friend I hope my standard to be. They are loyal, kind, strong, quirky, intelligent, hysterical, thoughtful, and honest. We have a history of college stories that we always tell in a certain order (Emily's Rob, who was not present during our college years, pointed this out during one of our "hilarious" retellings of the good-ole days). While writing this, I thought of 337 jokes that only seven other women would get, so I have refrained. All that to say, I am immeasurably grateful for these amazing ladies.

This last weekend we celebrated our last second baby of the group (Christy's, not mine, even though I look incredibly pregnant in this picture). We discussed that now the baby showers are slowly petering off, the only reason to get together are funerals (there is sometimes a macabre element to our humor). We are hoping to work in a few multi-family vacations and ladies' destination get-aways before then.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love this group of ladies! You have no idea how much your friendship and commitment to one another and your pursuit of Godly marriages and friendships has inspired me throughout the years. I've always dreamt of having friends like you all do...I believe I'm starting to devleop quite the crew :)

Love you all!
Amy (McNamara) Agimudie

P.S. Congratulations Christy!!!

Emily said...

Jenni,
I think we definitely need vacations together and what not. But I would argue that, as a group, we would probably bring a certain something to funerals of randomly selected strangers as well. So let's not rule that out completely. My favorite thing Ida has ever said about the fact that she was adopted by us was that time in the airport when Seth told someone that she wasn't one of our friends from college and she spoke up and said "Hey- I went to college, too..."

Anonymous said...

Ok, some of my thoughts upon reading this post:
1. You do NOT look pregnant.

2. Such a beautiful group of ladies.

3. Will you use the mortician, aka Kenny, for the funerals?

Emily said...

Okay, Anonymous has to be April or Mitzi- and EWWWW. The idea of any of us using Kenny as our mortician creeps me out. I used to participate in drive-bys of his funeral home. It just seems wrong to me. Jenni may feel differently about this issue, but that's my stance.

Jenni said...

1. Yes, Em, that was Mitzi
2. While this may not be a largely viewed site, it is a public forum, and you-now-who can somehow stumble upon this blog too (Emily, don't make me bring up your you-know-whos).
3. Don't you believe that Amy and the other McNamara girls are technically part of the Cul-de-Sac?
4. Mitzi, you are incredibly kind and I'm grateful that you are part of my adult Cul-de-Sac

Jennifer said...

I am so blessed to be part of this crazy and sometimes insane group. Funerals and all. Is Emily suggested we be hired out for funerals? That would be an interesting way to earn some extra cash and I have quite an extensive black wardrobe.

Anonymous said...

Ok, now that I can leave messages you really need to update more often! I have nothing new for you!!!

Beth said...

So, going based on tradition, are we going to make a list of who we expect to "go first" on this one =)? Perhaps, we can discreetly pass the list on among us. Based on the extremely long life expectancy in my family, I am sure I will be first.

Beth

Jenni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenni said...

Sorry, I missed a couple of words last comment (too early to be writing):

Beth, you are SO going to ALL of our funerals! I definitely am putting my money on you to make it ALL the way! We'll greet you at those pearly gates (if we're not too busy shopping).

Christy said...

I kind of want to print out that picture and paste myself in somewhere. Hmmm, a second looks tells me that there's no room. I think I'd just have to paste my face on someone else'd body, which also works for me. Even the pregnant-looking lady in the corner.

Emily said...

Beth,
For the love of God, you have to stop saying things like that or we will all be shopping when you eventually arrive and you will have to mill about hoping that one of us will swing by to pick you up. Let's just do random stranger's funerals, as that puts less pressure on us to die merely to get a get-together going...