Monday, November 3, 2008

Fun Size Opinions

No one has EVER accused me of overwithholding my opinions, so here go a few more. What in the heck is up with "fun size"? This, my friend, is NOT fun size:


This, my friend, is:


My friend Emily sent me this MOST wonderful post from a parenting blog. This lady is pregnant with her first child and posted about what she plans to do with her maternity leave:

"Despite what my sisters have told me about having a child and the implications that it will have on my personal time, I envisage my four months of maternity leave as just that - a time to turn over a new leaf.
.....as much as I am looking forward to nurturing my newborn baby, I am also looking forward to the downtime "in between her naps" where I plan to do the following:
- Complete my degree
- Master the keyboard (I have purchased a self-teach book in preparation)
- Learn how to play guitar
- Start a herb Garden
- Take up art lessons and do some painting
- Tan and start a home gymming program to restore my body to it's former shape
- Paint my toenails and wax biweekly
- Writing ( I will excite my blog fanbase of 2 people, with an exciting new blog daily)
- Start a photography portfolio "
Although I do not have the heart to respond to this mom-to-be regarding her post (for fear of sharing my guarded opinions), I wanted to relay my thoughts on her sweet post to you. Prior to becoming a mom, I too, secretly found most moms to be, oh, how I shall I say, WHINY. Okay, kids are some work, but if you are not working, you can still keep a mostly immaculate home, cook amazing dinners, take photography classes, plant some extra gardens, work out extra hard, paint your nails a different shade every couple of hours. I mean those little things are just so tiny and I am just so organized (unlike those whiny moms). And if one more person said to me, "Enjoy your sleep now, there's not much with the little one comes" I was planning on replacing their shampoo with Neet.

These are secret thoughts that I did not have the courage (THANK GOD) to say out loud or post on a public forum. Because when my 6 lbs, 12 oz. bundle helped me realize that I was lucky to have time to run a comb through my hair or swig down some Instant Breakfast before he finished his 15 minute nap, after three hours of trying to get him to sleep, I came to honor the mothers who came before me. Now, I truly am not one to spoil a blossoming mommy-to-bes plans (because I am serious about those Neet thoughts) and I am an optimist (thus the belief that I wouldn't be "one of THOSE moms"), but sheesh, being a mom, especially of a newborn is really, really hard (right Lacie? right Lindsay? right Christy?). The difference is that when they arrive, even though it can make you sad that you smell like urine and you have Instant Breakfast on your shirt, you are really too in love with that little guy to mind as much as you might have planned you would under those conditions.

In my much cherished book, I Was a Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids, it contains a quiz that includes a few items I checked, that are my very most treasured:

  • You secretly wish you had your own apartment.

  • You consider a trip to the dentist you special "alone time".

  • You reflexively refer to the bathroom as "the potty"
  • You find that slowly browsing the aisles at Target, by yourself, is better than therapy.
In other opinions, these are the MOST adorable Tranformer Optimus Prime and Yoda of ALL times (and even though it is sometimes really tiring, I adore and cherish being their mommy and would choose NO other path):

When going through my pumpkin pictures, I was really frustrated that this person's bottom got in the way of my beautiful boys picture, until I realized it was actually the back of a scarecrow. I forgive you scarecrow.

Because what's a good pumpkin patch, without a hearty camel ride:

11 comments:

Karen Smith (Feiock) said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA Oh i laughed out loud with that one. I am obviously not a MOM yet..but I was thinking I would have time to do all of that when I am one...NOT! But good idea about replacing ones shampoo with Neet...:)

Linny Best said...

very true! and I had no idea just how true until I became a Mom! The other day, staying home ALL day, I had planned to do 3 things...put the laundry away - it was already folded, take a shower, and get dinner on the stove (spaghetti, very easy, right...) ... what was I able to accomplish? Half of the laundry and dinner was on...but not so much the shower...sometimes I can only accomplish those things that I can do with one hand...babies are SO high maintenance! But I wouldn't have it any other way!

Emily said...

One of the best things Dave Barry says is that "caring for children is easy if you don't ever have to do anything else. I always hated it, too when people would tell me to get sleep now. For the love of God, I was ON BEDREST and it's not like people are sleep camels who can save it up because I totally could have made it through the girls first year on my extra bedrest sleep. I'll buy the Neet if you put it in their shampoo.

Lacie and Stephen said...

I WHOLE heartedly agree with everything you said including the Neet in the shampoo line! Very original! I am currently contending with a 2.5 month old who refused to take a nap at Grandmom's all morning and is now refusing to take one again. She had been sleeping from 8-8 (I know I am lucky!) Now she is getting up at 6:30 AM. And I am working a couple of days a week! I am surprised I can even do my job. I would much rather stay home and spend my days with her, nap or not! I have laundry in baskets ready to be folded and it has been there for a few days! I think that woman must have been joking!I like your FUN SIZW candy bar better too!

Karen Smith (Feiock) said...

Oh and read the host now! I will not have time to get to it for about a week or two and I know what a fast reader you are :)So enjoy! :)

Rachel C said...

Love this post, jenni-you keep me entertained.

Anonymous said...

Well, girl. You continously amaze me. How you have time to even post to a blog and download pictures, etc., etc., etc. is just beyond me. You are always good for a laugh (and I mean that in the BEST way)!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen nowhere near where you are in the blog sense, but I think in replacing the shampoo with neet that you should either replace it with Nair or Veet! 2 seperate hair removval systems!! I love you girl!!

Jenni said...

Ok, Carrie, you are making me feel REALLY old. You must immediately go to this video and please tell me you remember it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcQ68sHH4HI&watch_response

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Beth Hutchins said...

So funny! I, too, believed that I would do this motherhood thing differently--better, if you will. Joke's on me!